Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Nail polish and grad school. My life in a nutshell.

Lacquering: yesterday's NOTD.

Pure Ice Spit Fire.

Photos do not do this polish justice. It is the most playfully glittery polish I own and is nearly opaque in three coats. Pink tinted with holo glitter of several different sizes, it catches any stray light and glimmers even in dim lamplight. I wish it were tinted some other color since this dusty shade of pink is not particularly flattering to me but who cares about the color with all the glittery goodness?

This polish was given to me in a "mystery" swap and I am grateful for it because I would've never seen it myself (I don't think I've ever gone into a Walmart and I don't mind keeping it that way).

Now for a close-up of the aforementioned glittery goodness.

I don't know why I enjoy glittery polishes so much. They catch light, they glow, they frolic: they are dynamic and are captivating to watch. They are playful and make me smile. Which is true of nail polish as a hobby for me to begin with.

Learning: unable to concentrate on anything of substance.

Not much learning has been taking place since I got the flu a week ago. I just completed the first year of my doctoral program in June and promptly treated myself to a month of not-doing-anything. Which was then extended for a week of not-doing-anything-because-I'm-sick-and-therefore-not-enjoying-it. Tomorrow though I have some articles to read, some data to send, and hopefully my poor dizzy, congested head will be in a better place to actually process information.