Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sinful's Dream On a backup bottle saga

(Warning!! Of course I'm featuring the most impossible color to photograph. Not one of these photographs is perfect but the relation b/w each color gives you a good idea of the difference in bottles. All photographs are w/ top coat except where noted.)

In late spring of 2008, I bought a bottle of Sinful's Dream On on a whim. I loved it. That, along w/ Dior's Gold Nugget, sparked my nail polish obsession.


(DO1 Not color accurate. Pinker and darker. 2 coats.)

I wore it all the time and one year later decided that my remaining half bottle was making me nervous. I went out to the pharmacy to pick up a backup.

I went home to swatch it and got this.


(DO2 Not color accurate. More purple and vibrant. 3 coats.)

The colors were totally different! They were both neons but my first Dream On was a neon fuchsia and this was clearly a neon purple. In fact this color is basically a dupe of Zoya's Charisma and Essie's Perky Purple. Also, the formula was different. I attempted as many as 4 coats and I still had VNL w/ this one.

Distraught, I took to MUA to complain and swap. I searched for members who posted Dream Ons for swap that they had purchased a year ago.

One person noticed my post complaining about my backup failure and kindly offered to send me their fuchsia Dream On. I was ecstatic.


(DO3 Fairly color accurate. No top coat necessary. 2 coats.)

She RAOKed it to me all the way from the UK and it was lovely! But it wasn't the Dream On I was looking for. Indeed it had the name but it was much lighter than either DO1 or DO2 and it wasn't neon.

Fortunately, somebody I had contacted for a swap came through and offered this up to me.


(DO4 Not color accurate. 3 coats.)

Ya this one is the same as DO2. Except w/ 3 coats, it reached good opacity. I imagine that's due to the fact that it's over a year old.

So I am the non-proud owner of 4 Dream Ons and no back ups of my favorite shade ever.

WTH, Sinful? WTH?