Saturday, November 28, 2009

For Science

I can't remember the last time I went an entire month without wearing nail polish. Even when I wasn't a polish addict, I was still dedicated to nudes. So this experience will be interesting.

As I have mentioned before I have only two nail implements with me: a file and a basecoat. No remover, no cuticle cream, no nippers, no COLOR.

I thought it might be interesting to take a photo of what my nails looked like before I left and compare that with what they look like when I return.

I expect total devastation to be quite honest.

This is a photo of the nail file I have brought with me to South East Asia.


As you can see, I have had him for a very long time. I stole him from my mother years and years ago. We've had some good times together, and he still takes care of me. While I stopped using him to file my nails, he is still my go to for general nail cleaning (under the tip and around the cuticle). He'll see me through this.... hopefully. And yes, he will be filing. my. nails. The nail care purists out there a fucking retching right now. Frankly, so am I.

These are photos of my untouched nails right after removing a mani. No moisture, no nothing.

(Left, Right)

The yellow staining is more pronounced in person. It's not horrible, but I'm not happy. And I'm fully aware of which polish did this to me and the little twerp has been banished from my polish kingdom.

The major, nail-related upside to this trip is that surely my stains will have a good opportunity to grow out.

The base coat I'm gripping is Sally Hansen Miracle Cure. There is 2/3 left and it is newly thinned. I chose this one b/c the bottle seemed quite sturdy (unlike Citra 2 by Nailtek) and I just don't care about the contents (unlike my precious Lippmann Rehydrating). So this experiment isn't exactly "For Science" since there is no control group. But it will still be interesting to see how my nails hold up.

I am an avid nail biter when my nails are bare or the polish is peeling. I'm pretty sure my nails will end up in my mouth at some point during the trip. We shall see!!