Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Blue polishes with silver glitter comparisons

Sooo a while ago, someone commented on the right side bar that they wanted some Essie Starry Starry Nights dupes. Well I've finally gotten around to it! Essie Starry Starry Nights is a much sought after nail polish, and has been discontinued by Essie since I don't know? If someone does know, feel free to let us know! :) I've gathered polishes from my stash that might be possible dupes to Essie SSN. I'll try to be as accurate as possible with my descriptions of each polish. Here are the photos that I took. Try and guess which ones are which! To find their identities and to make them bigger, click on the photos! :)


Indirect light


Direct sunlight

I got my bottle of SSN on a trip to the nail salon to get my eyebrows and mustache waxed. I quickly glanced at their wall of polishes, and there amongst them all I spotted it and brought it home with me :) Sadly, there is only half a bottle left and I had to put some thinner in it. Also, the similar polishes that I have used in this comparison are almost as hard to find as Essie SSN itself, so sorry!!


In order of most similar to least similar:

Essie Starry Starry Nights This has round silver glitter in a blue jelly base. It took me two coats to reach opacity. What sets this apart from the others is its beautiful blue jelly base that allows to the silver glitter to shine through, even when it's covered by the blue jelly base. A true stunner and I can see why everyone loves it!

Naturistics Crystal Blue Pearl This also has round silver glitter in it, but what makes this one different is that it is in a blurple jelly base. When on the nail you can see that it is darker than Essie SSN. Other than the difference in base, it has all the other same qualities as SSN. I don't even know where this polish is from, but I got mine on eBay.

Orly Silent Night This polish is significantly darker than SSN and its silver glitter is much smaller than in both SSN and Crystal Blue Pearl. It was also a lot more sheer and took me four coats to get opaque. But once I finished my mani with it, and the light hit it, the finer glitter just kept twinkling! No idea how long gone this has been either, I got mine from a lovely MUAer. It's an older style Orly in the larger bottles, which makes me happy :)

And lastly,

Maybelline Matte Sapphire
I know, this is a matte polish, but I put topcoat on it so that it wasn't matte. I could've gotten away with one coat of polish, but I was careless so I had to do two. This is a dark blue nail polish with silver glitter in it. It doesn't have as much glitter in it as the other three do so it isn't as twinkling as the others. And it definitely isn't a jelly. I got my bottle from a Dollar Tree, but I think this is from the 90s when Maybelline had all those other mattes too?

Honorable mentions that I don't have, but have seen photos of online: Maybelline Twinkle Twinkle, Maybelline Zip Fly, Sephora Blue Sapphire, Chanel Ciel de Nuit.

So even though I did a comparison, i'm sure it didn't help because I didn't compare anything similar that could be easily accessible to everyone. I'm sorry :( But if you can find Essie Starry Starry nights or a polish similar to and find that you love it, please share your thoughts with us because I'm sure there are others who would love to know as well!

Hope everyone is enjoying their week :)