Friday, February 19, 2010

Color Club Rebel Debutante, Part I (of II, of III?)

Yes, the index fingernail broke again. I refuse to trim down the rest of the fingers to match it because polish application on nails that short is a real nightmare (especially for polishes with long brushes). :( It'll grow out soon, I hope...

Color Club sent me the Rebel Debutante collection about two weeks ago and I was hoping to put off swatching the completely creme set until I had grown out my previous index nail break. Then I realized that I might be waiting until March. There's no time like the present, right?

Color Club Who Are You Wearing

This was the surprise favorite of the four I'm showing you today. In the bottle, it looks like a beige with pearl grey undertones. The swatches I've seen on blogs with people I'm fairly sure are Caucasian shows it off as that color. On me, it looks like a very creamy milky just-barely-pink. As a woman of color (of Asian descent), I find that it's the light beige/pink colors that are the biggest cosmetic crapshoots: there's literally no guarantee that it will look like what it looks like in the bottle or in advertisements on me. (I think many Americans of Asian descent can relate to the early teenage experience of, "Dude, why does foundation look so weird on me?" Similar principle at work here.)

Well, just because it's a crapshoot doesn't mean it's going to be bad. I happen to love this color on me: I find it refreshing and sweet without being cloying. I do kind of envy other people who will wear this and have a nice whitened pearl grey but I'm cool with this milky nearly-pink. Two coats, glossy, and I'm very happy with it.

Color Club High Society

This reminds me of cheap coffee with skim milk... that's been left out a few days. That's not an appetizing image but it's not a bad color, imo: it's just very blah on me. Brown-leaning taupe with a tinge of mousy grey. "Mousy"... that's a good word to describe this color. Two coats.

Color Club Best Dressed List

This one reminds me of good coffee with a lot of good cream. Maybe a bit redder than that? I'm very "eh" on this one. Two coats, unexciting. And it looks kinda clashy-clashy with my skin.

Color Club Charity Ball

My SO looked over when I was swatching this one and said, "Yuck." Okay, I don't love it but it's not that bad! This is more of my idea of a fall shade though, a glossy terra cotta. I don't think it would be anyone's favorite color though.

I'm hoping to have the rest of the Rebel Deb collex swatched in the next week... silly school, getting in the way of important things, like nail polish swatching. :P