Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cozy Layering with Essie

I've had my OPI Got the Blues for Red mani on for almost a week now with absolutely ZERO chips, but I got bored. I have quite the vicious cold and I needed something soft and cuddly as opposed to va-va-va-voom vixen. (Plus my head is pounding and the red was just...too loud!) I decided that some of my new Essie sheers ($1 a piece at TJ Maxx!) might do the trick! So I did something I don't normally do and layered a sheer over a pastel. I'm not usually into layering because well, I'm lazy - but some of these Essies are just begging to be layered. So here is Essie Sophisticated Lady (1 coat) over Essie St. Lucia Lilac (2 coats):




Kind of like the snuggly grey sweatshirt I have layered over my PJs right now, Sophisticated Lady adds a layer of coziness to St. Lucia Lilac. On its own, St. Lucia Lilac can be a little stark, a little cold - but one layer of the pretty soft pink with blue shimmer of Sophisticated Lady warms it up a little and makes it feel more feminine and soft.


L: Essie St. Lucia Lilac; R: Essie Sophisticated Lady


The formula on both of these is impressive. I often find pastels to be a pain - thick and chalky or thin and runny. St. Lucia Lilac is neither of these and applied flawlessly and painlessly in 2 coats. Sophisticated Lady is a lovely sheer that is streak-free (I tried it on its own up to 3 coats - not a streak is sight!) and has a little something extra with a blue flash that is unfortunately hard to capture on camera - you can *kind of* see it in the bottle pics.

If these hadn't been easy to apply I would have trashed the idea of doing a mani today, because honestly I feel too icky. But it was completely painless and now that I have it on, I love looking at it! :)

Do you guys ever layer polishes? Do you like some of the effects it creates or is it too time-consuming for you?

My tissue box and I are quite enjoying the Olympics and cheering for the Dutch speed-skating team! I hope everyone is doing well, staying warm, and spending time with loved ones. :) Hubs and I are re-scheduling Valentine's Day to a non-Hallmark-sanctioned day because we can't be together tomorrow. Might be a good thing seeing how gross I am right now...at least my nails are pretty!

kittytokaren