Wednesday, February 17, 2010

NARS Purple Rain vs Others

Since I have a million of these stupid purple shimmers I thought I would do some super quick comparison pics for those of you trying to resist (or perhaps needing an excuse). These are not perfectly accurate as the photos were taken w/ flash.

I like Purple Rain. It has really gorgeous depth and I much prefer red-ish purples to blurples ("reples"? "purpeds"?). The pigmentation is great but I found the application to get a bit thick once reaching the second coat. It is also arguably very similar to others I have. However, it is super beautiful and glowy and I'm glad I have it. I hope this helps you make a decision!

The Middle and Index finger are static; they are swatched with Purple Rain throughout. Every swatch was two coats.



Zoya Yasmeen


In bottle and on the nail - the closest is Yasmeen, imo. They have very similar color tone but the shimmer is finer in PR. It's quite a bit deeper as well.

Essie Sexy Divide


Too blue.

Makeup Store Lea


Blue jelly base makes this not close at all.

Illamasqua Baptiste


The other very close one is Baptiste. The texture, depth, darkness, and pigmentation are very similar (with Baptiste's application a smidge better). However, Baptiste is Purple Rain's blue big sister. (Sorry for the terrible pic - like I said, I did these quick.)

Claire's Magic


Probably should have done a third coat but hey I'm lazy. At any rate, you're not close to PR at all - again that blue jelly base makes it completely wrong.