Friday, May 7, 2010

Essie Resort (Summer 2010) swatches

I'm loving the small Essie collections, like North Fork last summer and the holiday collection that had Mint Candy Apple. There's something very elegant about them.

Essie Lapis of Luxury

The color is a little more vivid IRL and a tad more dusty than show above. A little bit on the thin and hard-to-control side when applying but was still a gorgeous cornflower creme that was opaque and glossy at three coats.

Essie Playa del Platinum

This was my favorite polish of the collection, oddly enough. It's just such a rare nail polish color, this grey sandy beige, a sandy greige. And I LOVED the application: very smooth and it could've been fine at two coats but I put a third on anyway. It's nothing like the rest of the collection but it reminds me of the color of wet sand, which is perfect for a collection named "Resort".

Essie Splash of Grenadine

So not a fan of purplish pinks but I really liked this one. Two coats, extremely easy to apply. All the polishes in this collection have such a nice glossy finish. :)

Essie Turquoise and Caicos


I thought I'd like this one the best but it turned out to be the biggest disappointment for me. The color is lovely - a seafoam-greenish turquoise -- but the application was a pain. Not opaque by three coats (even though the rest of the polishes in the collection were) and cuticle drag! Hate cuticle drag. But I have to admit that the relative sheerness of the polish is kind of nice: it looks kinda watery and dreamy.

Honestly, the only must-have for me in this collection is Playa del Platinum because I have so few other polishes like it. But it makes such a nice compact little foursome all together and as a collector, I love having all four. Even if it did cost me retail (ouch). (Really, this trend of mine of buying whole collections because they look good together... it has to stop.) :P I do wish this wasn't just a collection of cremes though: some subtle shimmer in these would've been gorgeous, imo.