Friday, May 28, 2010

Perfectly Pink - OPI Japanese Rose Garden

This season I've been really into three kinds of polishes - metallics, corals and pinks. I'll be showing you some more metallics soon (OPI Dazzled by Gold! Hold on to your hats!), as well as two corals that might be working for me (can't wait to share those and get your opinions...I may have finally found "coral success")!!

I've got to tell you though...lately I've been in a full-tilt boogie pink phase! It's odd because I'm usually not a pink polish kinda girl (with the exception of light sheers). I think that pink is underestimated - it can be very exciting, dramatic and sexy, and like other colours, just as hard to find one that works for you. Just because there are so many pinks out there doesn't mean you've picked up the right one(s)! I think they are incredibly fickle when it comes to skin tone and this is probably why I've shied away from pink cremes in the past. I'm happy to say I think I have stumbled upon a medium pink that really works for me!

I present to you, OPI Japanese Rose Garden (in the "ugh-I-didn't-have-the-bottle-but-I-found-some-light-so-I'll-do-the-claw" pose):




It's not a straight creme - you can see in the bottle that is has a soft pearlescence to it - much like the pearlescence you find in OPI Puerto Vallarta Violeta - another spring favourite of mine! On the nail all you see is creme unless you look *realllllllllllyyy* closely. This is great because it means no danger of streaking whatsoever, yet the polish seems to glow. The colour is hard to explain - it's bright, yet demure; old-fashioned, yet fresh. It's a Barbie pink that keeps from being cloyingly sweet by having a tinge of mauve and grey to it. This usually a Grandma polish makes, but I think its working for me! (Correct me if I'm wrong please ladies.)

The odd/brilliant thing about this polish? In many ways, it reminds me of my mother's super-pigmented Chanel lipsticks - as if it was more pigment than polish! Result? Fabulous one-coater! I kid you not - a light(ish) colour in one coat. I have a separate shelf in my mind reserved for one-coaters and I reach for the ones on this shelf whenever I'm in a tornado-style rush. Japanese Rose Garden is on the roster!

So I'm not a seasoned pink girl - what do you ladies think? Are you into pinks this season or am I on my own? What's your 'perfect pink'?

kittytokaren