Friday, May 21, 2010

Some miserable but beautiful yellows: Ciate Lemon Sherbert, Milani Totally 80s and Sally Hansen Expresso Yellow

I love yellows. I love buying them. I love forever being on the lookout for a great yellow. NONE of these yellows I am showing you today qualify as "great". Actually, they were all pretty miserable, application-wise. But they are so lovely!

Ciate Lemon Sherbert
Five coat misery. I was ready to throw this out the window at the fourth coat but persevered and it REALLY paid off. It's a lovely soft yellow and netted me a ton of compliments that day. Granted, I went outlet shopping that day and the saleswomen were all trying to sell me stuff but they could've complimented other things!

Milani Totally 80s over FingerPaints Papier Mache
There was no way this was going to get opaque in less than four coats so I went ahead and put a two layers of FingerPaints Papier Mache (a stark white) under it. Then I put three coats of the Milani on top of it. Still, I had yellow streaks on top of white streaks. So not sexy. The color was obviously brighter in person, as neons tend to dull when photographed. :(

Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Expresso Yellow

I don't understand the name at all, besides that it rhymes. What really tweaks me is that Insta-Dri polishes are supposed to be one-or-two coaters and this one took six to become opaque AND non-streaky. Plus a LOT of topcoat to even it out. I'm actually cool with the Insta-Dri brush and generally am okay with the formula, but this was terrible. Looks fantastic and my nails are, like, hard as bone with it on... because there's like an inch of nail product on my nails right now.