Saturday, May 1, 2010

Tip-Toeing Out of My Comfort Zone: OPI DS Design

For those of you who cannot keep all of us PoP girls straight, I'm the super-pale one who wears a lot of Essie sheers and 'boring' colours and talks about feeling 'elegant' a lot. So I'm hoping you all can appreciate my dive into foreign waters today with a holo!

This is neither my first holo, nor my first OPI Designer Series polish. However, it is going to be the first one I keep! I was looking for a nude holo before and tried DS Classic but that looked too yellow against my skin. (Me being so pale if there's even a hint of a whiff of an undertone in something it shows up on me like magic marker on a freshly painted white wall.) But I believe I found my perfect nude holo!

Here she is, OPI DS Design (Excuse the tip wear - that's what happens when you apply SV to dry polish...tsk, tsk!):





Stepping out of one's comfort zone can be quite dangerous. I know this because I was recently attacked by a rapid possum while I had one foot safely in my apartment and one foot on my door mat. I'm viewing this as a similar trial. One foot safely in my colour house, and one foot on the doormat of crazy rainbow sparkle!

I know, I know. It's typical of me - if I'm going to go holo it's of course going to be a nude right? (*yawn*) I am who I am and I love nudes and classic colours, and am not typically one for super blingy polish with glitter and holo and duo, oh my! That being said I'm quite liking this. I put DS Design over an opaque baby pink in this pic, but it doesn't alter the colour whatsoever. (Trust me I compared them side by side, it's just that DS Design alone takes 4 coats to be opaque....I used two here.) I love that the nude is slighty darker than my skin, but not distinctly yellower or pinker. I think the colour really works! As for the holo....sh'pow! That is full-on holo rainbow sparkle to me! I don't think I'm yet ready to handle holos in bright, funky colours, and I'm not even sure that I feel completely comfortable with this yet, but so far so good.

I have my thesis proposal defense coming up and its going completely dismally. I am really not happy with things at all and I'm trying to fight through a deep, black, depression to get the work done and I'm not doing so hot. So I figured, now is a good a time as any to shake things up and try to get me out of my funk! (I'm also tip-toeing out of my comfort zone in another way - I've recently expanded my brand-snobbery to include Zoyas! More on that later...)

Baby steps, people! By stepping out the door I could find a whole new world of polish...or get bitten by another rapid possum. We shall see.

What do you think of holographic polishes? What do you think of this one on me? Which should I try next?

kittytokaren