Sunday, December 12, 2010

kittytokaren goes *crazy* and wears glitter in public!!

Yes, it is true. Ladies and gentlemen, I have snapped.

If you've read all...well, any...of my posts, you probably know that I'm a really conservative polish-wearer. I generally go for cremes, I *adore* taupes, and I like to wear sheers. When I'm in a "go nuts" kind of mood, I usually go for a metallic in deep pewter or gold. I generally eschew glitter. Seriously, I just don't like it that much. And it's not because I work in a conservative environment - heck, I'm a grad student...people wear sweatpants to work - it's just my personality. Boring by nature!

BUT the winter doldrums have kicked in now - full force. I'm frustrated with grad school, with life, with my age. So I went completely nuts, grabbed my clippers, castrated my nails down to ULTRA-nubbins, and did a glitter accent nail manicure!!!

*insert crazy eye here*

This is OPI William Tell Me About OPI with OPI Mad as a Hatter on my thumbs:


With flash:

So you can see the crazy glitter-ness that is Mad as a Hatter, here is my thumb:

What inspired me originally was Meganchair's post about accent nail manis, specifically her LPAD+MaaH Blackberry mani. I really do prefer the accent to be on the thumb - something about it appeals to me. Maybe it's because I've been a Sidekick user for so long, so I'm used to thinking of my thumbs as "special". Or maybe it's because I'm a geneticist and opposable thumbs are actually special.

And you know what? It worked. This stuff is better than Prozac! I look at my nails and it makes me immeasurably happier - which sounds stupid, but is no insignificant feat in the face of the winter blues! I felt a little self-conscious at first, but then I realized - I don't think anyone even notices. It's two little nails for goodness sake...

I'm still going to be a conservative polish girl - it's who I am. I'm still me, and I haven't been indoctrinated into the Church/Cult of Glitter or anything loca like that, but I'm really enjoying the ride! (I'm even secretly plotting a Blackberry mani with OPI Gift of Gold...)

What do you think of glitter on me? Have you ever done a manicure that was *way* outside of your comfort zone??

kittytokaren